Last Sunday we had some family coming over and wanted to make a mixed grill to feed everyone. For this cook I went with bone-in chicken thighs, shrimp, sausage, potatoes, and corn. The trick to a cook like this is timing and grilling space. No worries as I was able to navigate both and come out with a great meal for all to enjoy. Now sit back, grab your favorite IPA, and enjoy this recipe for Big Green Egg Mixed Grill.
Big Green Egg Mixed Grill
To prep for this cook I preheated the Big Green Egg to 400° measured at the dome.
I had two types of chicken sausage (yes… Mrs. Buddha got us chicken sausage) and shrimp that I skewered then rubbed with Dizzy Pig Tsunami Spin.
For the bone-in, skin-on chicken thighs I rubbed them with Dizzy Pig Tsunami Spin then cooked them face down for 4 minutes to render the fat and get the skin crispy.
After the chicken skin was nice and crispy I placed them on the top tier of my 2-tier rack with the shrimp. On the bottom tier I cooked the sausage, potatoes, and corn.
For the potatoes I quartered red skin potatoes, tossed them in fresh garlic and olive oil, and placed them in a small Cast Iron pan. They came out nice and crispy.
The entire cook took me about 30 minutes and produced a bountiful display of meat and vegetables!
The corn was cooked whole by smearing butter and fresh basil on the cob then wrapping in foil. After the cobs came off the grill I cut them in half and mixed them with the potatoes.
I sliced the sausage and tossed that with the potatoes, shrimp, and corn. Topped it off with a chicken thigh and served!
Big Green Egg Mixed Grill
- 2 Lbs. Bone-in Skin-on Chicken Thighs
- 4 Chicken Sausage Links
- 1 Lbs. Medium Shrimp Peeled and deveined
- 1 Lbs. Red Skin Potatoes quartered
- 4 Ears of Corn on the Cob
- BBQ Rub
- Olive Oil
- Fresh Basil
- Preheat the Big Green Egg to 400°
- Rub the chicken thighs with olive oil and coat with BBQ rub
- Rub the shrimp with olive oil and coat with BBQ rub then skewer
- Toss the potatoes in olive oil and minced garlic
- Put a small cast iron pan on the grilling surface to preheat
- Rub the corn on the cob with butter and sliced fresh basil, wrap in foil, place on grill
- Add the potatoes to the preheated cast iron pan
- Cook the chicken thighs skin side down for 4 minutes until fat is rendered and skin is crispy
- Move the thighs to a raised grill skin side up
- Continue to turn the corn and potatoes as you cook throughout
- After 5 minutes add the sausages to the bottom tier and shrimp to the top tier
- Cook both for another 10 minutes turning the sausages and shrimp occasionally to cook through
- Pull the shrimps and sausages and let rest
- Pull the potatoes and corn, chop the corn in half and mix together in a bowl
- Check temp on chicken thighs and pull them when they hit 165°
- Slice the sausage, pull the shrimp off the skewers, and toss in the bowl with potatoes and corn
- Serve a scoop of the potatoes, corn, shrimp, and sausage in a bowl then top with a chicken thigh