Crispy Chorizo Potato Breakfast Hash cooked entirely on your Big Green Egg is a great way to start the weekend. The combination of the chorizo sausage with the potatoes is deeply satisfying. Now sit back, grab your favorite Bloody Mary, and enjoy this post for Crispy Chorizo Potato Breakfast Hash.
A big shout out to my Instagram friends Tony and Maribel for the recipe inspiration.
Crispy Chorizo Potato Breakfast Hash
The ingredients for this recipe are easy: red skin potatoes, diced onions, eggs, chorizo sausage, and chicken broth.
Setting up the Big Green Egg using a Plate Setter for indirect heat at 400°. Once preheated place the Cast Iron Dutch Oven inside filled with the chicken stock. Close the lid and let the stock come up to a slow boil before adding the potatoes.
Putting it all together
Once the potatoes are fork tender pull the Dutch Oven off the Big Green Egg and drain the potatoes. Next, gather the rest of the ingredients: chorizo, onions, potatoes, eggs, and garnish.
Place a Cast Iron Skillet into the Big Green Egg and let it preheat before adding the chorizo (removed from the casing).
Stir vigorously to break up the sausage as it cooks. Once done, add the diced onions and continue to stir mixing well.
Next, add the potatoes mixing all of this together. For a spicier version add a teaspoon of chili powder to give it a little extra heat.
The potato and onion mixture absorbs all that good flavor from the chorizo and begins to form a crispy crust. Press the mixture down forming three pockets allowing you to crack the eggs into them.
Big Green Egg Chorizo Potato Breakfast Hash
Close the Big Green Egg and let the eggs cook to a perfect over easy. Pull the Cast Iron Skillet and garnish it with the Cojita cheese, jalapenos, and cilantro. This dish was amazing and is something I will cook again and again!
- 2 links chorizo sausage
- 1 pound red skin potatoes
- 1 container of low sodium chicken stock
- 1 cup diced yellow onion
- Salt (to taste)
- Chili powder (optional)
- 3 eggs
- Garnish with Cojita, jalapeno, and cilantro
- Preheat the Big Green Egg to 400° using indirect setup
- Quarter the red skin potatoes
- Remove casing from chorizo and set aside
- Dice the yellow onion and set aside
- Pour the chicken stock into a cast iron dutch oven set on your grill grate
- Add salt to taste (you want salty stock)
- Close the BGE and let the stock come to a slow boil (about 10 minutes)
- Add potatoes and close the BGE and let cook until fork tender (about 10 minutes)
- Remove the potatoes and drain (set to the side)
- Place a cast iron skillet on the grate of the BGE, close lid, let the skillet preheat (about 5 minutes)
- Add the chorizo and chop up with wooden spoon to get crumbled sausage
- Let cook for 5 minutes or so then add the diced onions and stir well
- Add the potatoes after another 5 minutes and stir well until the potatoes, onions, and sausage are mixed well
- Press down on the hash and create pockets for the eggs
- Crack the eggs and add them to the top of the hash
- Close the BGE and let cook 10 minutes or so until the eggs are done
- Remove cast iron skillet, garnish with Cojita, cilantro, and jalapeno's
- Serve and enjoy!