I dislike starting my post with a complaint, but 25 out of the last 30 days it has rained. I do not have a covered area to cook at my home so I have not been on my Big Green Egg in a couple of weeks. This week the rain finally cleared and with the return of the sun came my return to outdoor cooking! For this cook I challenged myself to cook with items I had on hand. I took a look in the refrigerator and in the pantry and found some delicious ingredients. Now sit back, grab a cold Tecate, and enjoy this this post for Cilantro Lime Chicken Thighs.
Cilantro Lime Chicken Thighs
Thankfully we are in the habit of keeping fresh ingredients on hand. We had plum tomatoes, jalapenos, corn, limes, red onion, cilantro, avocado, and bone in chicken thighs.
I wanted to do a play on the Green Lightning Shrimp recipe. So, I added olive oil, Cumin, and salt and pepper to the mix.
I rough chopped the cilantro, garlic, and jalapenos then placed in a food processor. I then added Cumin, lime juice, olive oil, salt, and pepper.
After blending the ingredients I placed the marinade in with the chicken and refrigerated them overnight.
As a side, I made a simple Avocado Salad that was delicious. Roma tomatoes, red onion, garlic, lime juice, salt, chopped cilantro and avocado were the perfect combination for the salad.
I set the Big Green Egg up for direct cooking using a raised grilling surface. I preheated the BGE to 400° and placed the chicken on skin side down for 10 minutes to render the fat. After the fat had rendered and the skin was nice and crispy I flipped the chicken and cooked for another 15 minutes until the instant read thermometer measured 165°.
After letting the chicken rest for 10 minutes, I served with the Avocado Salad. This was a great meal using ingredients on hand!
- 4 bone-in chicken thighs
- 1 bunch of cilantro - roughly chopped
- 4 garlic cloves - roughly chopped
- 3 limes - juiced
- 3 jalapenos - seeded, roughly chopped
- ¼ cup olive oil
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp pepper
- Put the cilantro, garlic, jalapenos, olive oil, lime juice, cumin, salt, and pepper in food processor.
- Blend until a thick paste forms.
- Place the marinade and chicken thighs in a Ziploc bag and refrigerate overnight.
- Preheat the Big Green Egg to 400° and set it up for direct grilling.
- Take the chicken out of the marinade and let come to room temp while BGE preheats.
- Place the chicken skin side down for 10 minutes to render out the fat and crisp the skin.
- Flip the chicken and cook another 15 minutes or until the chicken measures 165° using instant read meat thermometer.
- Remove the chicken and let rest for 10 minutes before serving.