Panzanella is a Tuscan salad usually made with bread and tomatoes. This recipe replaced the tomatoes with various mushrooms which really gave the Rib Eye steak a dose of umami which balanced the dining experience. This recipe for Summer Mushroom Panzanella pairs perfectly with the Rib Eye Steak with Miso Red Wine Marinade recipe I posted earlier.
Summer Mushroom Panzanella
- 1.5 pounds mixed mushrooms such as button and shiitake, cleaned with stems removed
- 1 pound mixed mushrooms such as eryngi (trumpet), enoki or honshimeji
- 1 clove garlic minced
- 2 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons roughly chopped flat-leaf parsley
- 2 tablespoons roughly chopped celery leaves endive may be substituted
- 1/4 cup microgreens
- 1 cup freshly grated Parmigiano-Reggiano
- 2 cups garlic croutons
- Olive oil
- Salt and pepper
- Preheat the oven to 450° F.
- In a large bowl, toss the mushrooms with olive oil and season with salt.
- Place the mushrooms in a roasting pan and cook in the oven until the mushrooms are caramelized, around 20 minutes.
- In a large mixing bowl, toss the roasted mushrooms with the garlic, lemon juice, parsley, celery leaves, microgreens, cheese and croutons.
- Add oil and season with salt and pepper to taste.