If you are anything like me, you grew up eating steak and cheese sandwiches from your local sub or pizza shop. The childhood memories evoked when eating a sandwich like are hard to beat. Now this version has green peppers in it because that is how the sub was cooked at my favorite spot. Many of my friends from Philadelphia would take umbrage with this addition. So, if you are looking for a classic Philly Steak & Cheese, leave the green peppers out. Now sit back, grab an ice cold Budweiser, and enjoy this post for Big Green Egg Steak and Cheese Sandwich.
Big Green Egg Steak and Cheese Sandwich
Start by dicing 1 yellow onion and 1 green pepper. Place the diced veggies in a bowl and preheat your Big Green Egg to 400°F with a 12″ cast iron pan on the grill grate to preheat.
Add a Tbsp of olive oil, some Dizzy Pig SPG seasoning, and mix the veggies well.
For this sandwich, I used Snake River Farms American Wagyu NY Strip Slices for the ultimate steak & cheese experience! This amazing product comes pre-sliced so the only thing you need to do is cut the pre-sliced steak into small pieces for your steak and cheese sandwich.
When your Big Green Egg is preheated, add a little oil to the cast iron pan then add your veggie mix. Keep stirring until the onions are translucent and the peppers are softened. Remove from the pan and set to the side.
Now add the diced steak pieces and stir until you no longer see any pink in the meat.
Add the veggies back in and mix well, cooking another few minutes until the flavors are well combined.
Top with the sliced provolone cheese, close the lid to your Big Green Egg, and cook a few minutes until the cheese is melted. When done, remove the pan from the Big Green Egg and set to the side.
While the steak and cheese mixture rests, slather the split sub rolls with the softened butter and grill face down until nicely toasted.
Now divide the steak and cheese into equal portions on top of each toasted sub roll.
Split the sub in half, enjoy your creation and get that Buddha Bite… yes!
- Preheat Big Green Egg to 400°F setup for direct grilling
- Place a 12” cast iron pan into the Big Green Egg to preheat
- Chop the onion and pepper, mix with 1 Tbsp of Olive Oil and 1 Tbsp of Dizzy Pig SPG, mix well and add to the cast iron pan cook for 3 – 5 minutes stirring frequently until the veggies are softened the remove
- Take the sliced and diced steak and toss with 1 Tbsp of Olive Oil and 1 Tbsp of Dizzy Pig SPG add to the cast iron pan
- Cook 5 minutes or so until you no longer see any pink
- Add back in the veggies and mix well
- Close top and bottom vent and cook another 3 – 5 minutes then top with the provolone cheese slices
- After a few minutes the cheese will be melted, and it is time to remove the cast iron pan
- Slather the softened butter on the split sub rolls and place face down on the grill grate for a minute or two until rolls are toasted
- Dived the steak and cheese mixture on to each sub roll and enjoy!