I love a good creamy coleslaw. I often find myself being lazy and getting coleslaw at the deli counter at the local grocery just because I want to put the focus on the BBQ. However, making your own coleslaw is super easy and way cheaper than its pre-made counterpart. Now sit back, grab your favorite pulled pork sandwich and enjoy this recipe for The Best Creamy Coleslaw Recipe.
The Best Creamy Coleslaw Recipe
The secret to this recipe is the macerated onion. This culinary technique breaks down the onion to soften it, and adds brightness of the lemon juice. In addition, your lemon juice is infused with onion flavor giving the acid you are using in this dish an addition depth of flavor.
Simply slice the onion and add to a small mixing bowl.
Now juice 1 lemon in to that mixing bowl and set aside for 20 minutes.
Any coleslaw starts with a head of green and red cabbage. Simply remove the core and slice very thin. Place in to a large mixing bowl (not the same one your macerated onions are in).
Now julienne the carrots and add them to the sliced cabbage. Next, pick the leaves from the parsley and add them to the carrots and cabbage.
After 20 minutes, drain the juice from the red onion and add the onion to the bowl with the other vegetables.
Now mix all of the vegetables together getting an even distribution throughout.
Now mix together the dressing ingredients (mayo, Dijon mustard, mustard seed, and sugar).
Add the reserved lemon juice in a little at a time and taste the dressing until it reaches the desired brightness you are looking for.
Now mix the dressing in to the vegetables and toss until covered throughout.
You can serve immediately or store in fridge for a few days.
- ½ medium head red cabbage
- ¼ head green cabbage
- 1 cups julienned carrots
- ½ green pepper julienned
- ¼ red onion, sliced thin
- 1 lemon juiced
- ¼ cup coarsely chopped parsley
- ½ cup mayonnaise
- ⅛ cup Dijon mustard
- 1 Tbs sugar
- ½ tsp mustard seed
- Slice the onion thin, place in a bowl, add the juice of 1 lemon and set aside for 20 minutes
- Quarter the green and red cabbage, remove the cores
- Slice thin and place in to a large bowl
- Julienne the carrots and place in to bowl
- Pick the parsley leaves and place in to the bowl
- Drain the onions, reserving the lemon juice, and add the onions to the bowl
- Toss to mix all the vegetables through
- Dress the slaw with mayonnaise, mustard, sugar, and mustard seed
- Add reserved lemon juice as needed until slaw pops with brightness