As most of you know by now my wife, Mrs. Buddha, is from Louisville, KY. One of the benefits of being married to someone from Kentucky is discovering a taste for bourbon. I have fallen in love with bourbon in its many shapes and forms. Combining my passion for BBQ and bourbon is the logical next step. So, sit back, grab a glass of Four Roses, and enjoy this post for the Best Bourbon BBQ Sauce.
The Best Bourbon BBQ Sauce
Start by sautéing the onions and garlic in olive oil over medium heat until softened and fragrant.
Next add the bourbon and let it reduce, stirring frequently.
Add the remaining ingredients: cider vinegar, Worcestershire sauce, tomato paste, brown sugar, mustard powder, cayenne pepper, ketchup, salt, and pepper.
At this point add a generous splash of bourbon for flavor.
Use a hand mixer or blender to smooth out the sauce. If it is too thick, add a little water until you reach desired consistency. Store the sauce in an airtight container in the fridge for up to two weeks.
You can use this sauce to glaze your favorite BBQ dishes like spare ribs!
- 1 Tbs olive oil
- 1 cup onion
- 3 cloves of garlic
- ¾ cup bourbon
- 2T cider vinegar
- 1T Worcestershire
- 1T tomato paste
- 1 tsp mustard
- ¼ tsp cayenne
- ⅓ c brown sugar
- 2 cups ketchup
- Salt & pepper to taste
- Sauté the onion in olive oil for 1 to 2 minutes until fragrant
- Add garlic and sauté for another 1 to 2 minutes
- Add the remaining ingredients and bring to a low boil
- Reduce heat and simmer for 5 – 10 minutes
- Add a splash of bourbon for a stronger flavor
- Use a hand blender to mix to a fine sauce, adding water as needed to reach desired consistency