I look for inspiration everywhere and strive to cook different and unique recipes as often as I can. For instance, my Facebook feed has more food stories than anything else (sorry friends). Last week a post came across from Food & Wine with a slideshow of several different seafood burgers. They all looked great and for me it was hard to decide which to try first. I chose this Tuna Burger Recipe and modified it for the Big Green Egg. This is a bit tricky to make and takes patience but is well worth the time and effort! Now sit back, grab a glass of your favorite Sauvignon Blanc, and enjoy this recipe for Big Green Egg Thai Chili Ginger Tuna Burgers
Big Green Egg Thai Chili Ginger Tuna Burgers
For this recipe I gathered rice vinegar, Fish Sauce, Vegetable Oil, Sesame Oil, Red Onion, Cucumbers, Cilantro, Garlic, Serrano Chili, Ginger, Basil, and Sushi grade Tuna.
To prepare the burgers, first slice the cucumbers and onions very thin (I used a mandolin). After adding the the vinegar and sugar, let it sit at room temperature while you make the burgers.
Mix the chili, garlic, ginger, sugar, fish sauce, basil, and cilantro to form a paste.
Chop the tuna in to small 1/8″ bits.
Mix the chili ginger paste with the tuna bits to form patties. Place on a lined plate and in the refrigerator for 30 minutes to let them set.
Preheat the BGE to 400° then oil your raised grid. Rub vegetable oil and sesame oil on both sides of the patties. Place the patties on the grill.
Grill each side for 3 minutes to get a medium rare burger.
Drain the Asian Cucumber Salad and top the patties with some of that and chopped peanuts.
Add Sriracha mayonnaise and a bun. Enjoy!
- Asian Cucumber Salad:
- 2 Cucumbers sliced
- ¼ medium red onion sliced
- 3 Tbs rice vinegar
- 1 Tbs Sugar
- Tuna Burgers:
- 2 Tsp grated fresh ginger
- 1 Garlic clove
- 1 Serrano chili, seeded and chopped
- 2 Tbs Fish Sauce
- 2 Tbs Chopped cilantro
- 2 Tbs Chopped basil
- 1 Tsp Sugar
- 1.5 Lbs sushi-quality tuna
- 1½ Tbs vegetable oil
- 1½ Tbs Sesame oil
- Toss cucumbers, onions, and rice vinegar in a bowl and set aside while you make the burgers.
- Using a mortar and pestle mash the ginger, garlic, and chili's forming a paste.
- Add the chopped sugar, fish sauce, basil, and cilantro then mix well.
- Chop the tuna in to small pieces.
- Mix the tuna with the mixture chili paste.
- Form 4 patties and put in the refrigerator for 30 minutes to set.
- Preheat your BGE to 400°.
- Rub the sesame and vegetable oil on both sides of the patties.
- Using a raised grid place the patties in the preheated BGE.
- Cook for 3 minutes per side for medium rare.
- Drain the Asian cucumber salad.
- Place the salad on the burgers with chopped peanuts for garnish.
- I used Sriracha Mayonnaise for the spread.