Well, it was my birthday last week and with that came some thoughtful gifts from my friends and family. My daughter got me a new cookbook from Dr. BBQ – Flavorize that I absolutely love! I decided to cook one of the recipes from this book for dinner last night and it was so good I had to share it with you all. This is a simple and savory dish perfect for a weeknight meal. Now sit back, grab your favorite IPA, and enjoy this recipe for Big Green Egg Sweet and Sour Chicken Thighs.
Big Green Egg Sweet and Sour Chicken Thighs
To get started I measured out all the ingredients (pineapple juice, cornstarch, vinegar, sugar, ketchup, soy, honey, and Sriracha) and seasoned the skinless and boneless chicken thighs.
I mixed the pineapple juice with the cornstarch to create the base for this glaze.
I mixed in the remaining ingredients in to the base and warmed this in the microwave until the glaze thickened.
I setup the Big Green Egg using a raised grid (The Woo II) and preheated it to 400° measured at the dome.
I grilled the chicken thighs for 3 minutes then flipped them over. That is when I started to apply the glaze. Do this every 2 – 3 minutes until the chicken measures 165° using an instant read thermometer.
Once the chicken thighs were done I pulled them off and let them rest for 5 minutes before serving.
I served the sweet and sour chicken thighs with a sautéed vegetable medley. This dish is quick, easy, full of flavor and healthy!
- ¼ c pineapple juice
- 1 tbsp cornstarch
- ¼ c rice vinegar
- ¼ brown sugar
- ¼ ketchup
- 1 tbsp soy sauce
- 1 tbsp honey
- 1tsp sriracha
- Whisk pineapple and cornstarch together until smooth base is formed.
- Add the vinegar, sugar, ketchup, soy, honey, and sriracha and whisk together.
- Microwave for the glaze for 1 minute then mix well.
- Repeat this 2 more times until the glaze is thick.
- Cool the glaze before using.
- Preheat the Big Green Egg to 400° measured at the dome.
- Cook thighs 3 minutes and flip.
- Glaze and cook for 3 minutes then flip.
- Glaze and cook for 2 minutes and repeat process until done top with remaining glaze and serve.