Last week I made a Mojo Pork Tenderloin dish that was fantastic! I had a few ingredients on hand (oranges, limes, etc.) that I didn’t use up making the Mojo Pork. I didn’t want them to go bad and decided to repurpose the fresh ingredients for a new recipe using that same flavor profile but with Chicken Thighs. As a result I have a great new recipe to share with you. Now, sit back, grab a nice glass of Chardonnay, and enjoy this recipe for Big Green Egg Citrus Chicken Thighs.
Big Green Egg Citrus Chicken Thighs
This dish uses fresh oranges, limes, ginger, garlic, and cilantro with soy sauce, olive oil and of course bone in, skin on chicken thighs.
Once the ingredients are processed together, place the chicken and the marinade in a Ziploc bag and in the refrigerator for 3 hours.
Preheat the Big Green Egg to 350° and using a raised grid add the chicken thighs skin side up.
Let the chicken cook for 10 – 15 minutes skin before flipping them over. The drippings from the skin will create a wonderful smoky flavor!
This summer “Mrs. Buddha” grew some Sandia Hot Peppers in our herb garden. We got a total yield of two peppers from the plants and cooked them with this meal!
After 20 minutes or so measure the chicken thighs using a Thermapen and when they hit 165° it is time to pull them off and let them rest for 10 minutes to allow the juices to settle.
I made a sweet potato hash (recipe below) to go along with this recipe.
Here is the chicken served with the sweet potato hash and grilled peppers.
- 1 bunch green onions, sliced
- 2 Tbls ginger (grated)
- 1 bunch cilantro (chopped)
- 4 garlic cloves (minced)
- 2 tsp lime zest
- 2 tsp orange zest
- ½ c fresh lime juice
- ½ c fresh orange juice
- ½ c soy sauce
- 4 Tbls olive oil
- 2 Tbls kosher salt
- Sesame seeds (for garnish)
- 2 pounds skin-on, bone-in chicken thighs
- Mix all the ingredients together in a food processor (except ¼ cup of the green onions, sesame seeds & chicken)
- Marinade the chicken for 3 hours
- Remove chicken from marinade and let come to room temperature (1 hour)
- Preheat Big Green Egg to 350°
- Cook chicken skin side up for 10 - 15 minutes then flip
- Cook skin side down another 10 - 15 minutes or until the chicken measure 165°
- Pull the chicken off the BGE and let rest 10 minutes
- Top chicken with green onions and sesame seeds
- 2 Sweet Potatoes (grated)
- 1 Medium White Onion (finely chopped)
- 2 Cloves of Garlic (minced)
- 2 Strips of bacon (diced)
- 1 small can green chilies diced
- 1 tsp Cumin
- 1 tsp Coriander
- 1 tsp chili powder
- salt & pepper to taste
- Peel and grate the sweet potatoes
- Mix the grated sweet potatoes with the green chilies, cumin, coriander, and chili
- In a cast iron pan cook the bacon over medium heat
- When the bacon begins to brown a bit add the onions and cook for a minute
- Add the garlic and cook for another minute
- Add in the grated sweet potatoes a handful at a time as you continue to mix everything together
- Cook stirring occasionally for 10 minute or until the potatoes begin to brown
- Let the mix sit for another 5 - 10 minutes then flip a section a quarter at a time so you can have an even brown crust on top and bottom
- Serve and enjoy!