Are you looking for a home run appetizer to make on your Big Green Egg for your next party or get together? Well, you have found the right place! I made this for a holiday party last December and it was gone almost as soon as I put it down on the counter. The mouthfeel of this recipe is what you are looking for in an appetizer… crunchy, smooth, creamy, and meaty! I used an Snake River Farms American Wagyu bavette steak (aka flank steak) for this recipe but you can use any cut that you have on hand. Now sit back, grab a glass of Villa Antinori Toscana Red and enjoy this post for Big Green Egg Steak Crostinis.
Big Green Egg Steak Crostinis
Start by slicing the French bread in to 1/4″ rounds.
Next, schmear some olive oil on the top of each piece of French bread.
Season the bread rounds with a 1 Tbsp mixture of salt, pepper, and garlic powder. I used Dizzy Pig SPG Original for this recipe.
Set up your Big Green Egg for raised direct grilling and preheat it to 350° F. When ready, place the seasoned bread rounds inside.
Cook the bread for 1-2 minutes per side until toasted and nicely brown. Remove the crostinis and set aside.
Now, increase the heat of your Big Green Egg to 550°F. When ready place the seasoned and tempered bavette steak inside. Cook for 4-5 minutes then flip cooking another 4-5 minutes until the internal temperature measures 125°F. When ready pull the bavette steak and rest 10-15 minutes while you assemble the crostinis.
The first layer is Boursin Shallot & Chive Cheese spread. Schmear about 1 tsp on each crostini.
The next flavor layer (and one that really makes this recipe shine) is a tsp of cherry preserve.
Now that your steak has rested, slice the bavette steak against the grain into 1″ bite size pieces. Top each crostini with a piece of the steak.
Finally, top the crostinis with finely chopped fresh chives.
Serve immediately to your friends and family. Enjoy!!!
Big Green Egg Steak Crostinis
- 1.5 pound bavette steak
- 3/4 cup olive oil
- 1 Tbsp Dizzy Pig Red Eye Express
- 1 French Baguette sliced in to 1/4” rounds
- 1 Tbsp Dizzy Pig SPG
- 5 oz Boursin Cheese Shallot & Chive
- 1 cup cherry preserve
- 1 Tbsp chives chopped fine
- Set up your Big Green Egg for raised direct cooking preheated to 350°F. While the BGE is heating prep your French bread by slicing it in to 1/4” rounds.
- Top the bread with a schmear of olive oil and some SPG. Place the bread on the Big Green Egg and cook for 1-2 minutes per side until nice and toasted. Remove and set to the side.
- Increase temperature of the BGE to 500°F and when ready place the seasoned bavette steak on the grill grate. Cook 5-6 minutes per side until the internal temperature measures 125°F. Remove and rest 15-20 minutes before slicing against the grain in to bite sized pieces.
- While the steak rests divide the Boursin cheese across the toasted crostini. The add 1 tsp of cherry preserve to each crostini.
- Next add a slice of the bavette steak to each crostini. Finally, top the crostini with chopped chives and serve immediately.