Are you looking for a home run appetizer to make on your Big Green Egg for your next party or get together? Well, you have found the right place! I made this for a holiday party last December and it was gone almost as soon as I put it down on the counter. The mouthfeel of this recipe is what you are looking for in an appetizer… crunchy, smooth, creamy, and meaty! I used an Snake River Farms American Wagyu bavette steak (aka flank steak) for this recipe but you can use any cut that you have on hand. Now sit back, grab a glass of Villa Antinori Toscana Red and enjoy this post for Big Green Egg Steak Crostinis.
Big Green Egg Steak Crostinis
Start by slicing the French bread in to 1/4″ rounds.
Next, schmear some olive oil on the top of each piece of French bread.
Season the bread rounds with a 1 Tbsp mixture of salt, pepper, and garlic powder. I used Dizzy Pig SPG Original for this recipe.
Next season your bavette steak with Dizzy Pig Redeye Express. Let this sit at room temperature while you preheat your Big Green Egg.
Set up your Big Green Egg for raised direct grilling and preheat it to 350° F. When ready, place the seasoned bread rounds inside.
Cook the bread for 1-2 minutes per side until toasted and nicely brown. Remove the crostinis and set aside.
Now, increase the heat of your Big Green Egg to 550°F. When ready place the seasoned and tempered bavette steak inside. Cook for 4-5 minutes then flip cooking another 4-5 minutes until the internal temperature measures 125°F. When ready pull the bavette steak and rest 10-15 minutes while you assemble the crostinis.
The first layer is Boursin Shallot & Chive Cheese spread. Schmear about 1 tsp on each crostini.
The next flavor layer (and one that really makes this recipe shine) is a tsp of cherry preserve.
Now that your steak has rested, slice the bavette steak against the grain into 1″ bite size pieces. Top each crostini with a piece of the steak.
Finally, top the crostinis with finely chopped fresh chives.
Serve immediately to your friends and family. Enjoy!!!
Big Green Egg Steak Crostinis
- 1.5 pound bavette steak
- 3/4 cup olive oil
- 1 Tbsp Dizzy Pig Red Eye Express
- 1 French Baguette sliced in to 1/4” rounds
- 1 Tbsp Dizzy Pig SPG
- 5 oz Boursin Cheese Shallot & Chive
- 1 cup cherry preserve
- 1 Tbsp chives chopped fine
- Set up your Big Green Egg for raised direct cooking preheated to 350°F. While the BGE is heating prep your French bread by slicing it in to 1/4” rounds.
- Top the bread with a schmear of olive oil and some SPG. Place the bread on the Big Green Egg and cook for 1-2 minutes per side until nice and toasted. Remove and set to the side.
- Increase temperature of the BGE to 500°F and when ready place the seasoned bavette steak on the grill grate. Cook 5-6 minutes per side until the internal temperature measures 125°F. Remove and rest 15-20 minutes before slicing against the grain in to bite sized pieces.
- While the steak rests divide the Boursin cheese across the toasted crostini. The add 1 tsp of cherry preserve to each crostini.
- Next add a slice of the bavette steak to each crostini. Finally, top the crostini with chopped chives and serve immediately.