Welcome back and happy new year to you! This is my first blog post of 2021 and it covers a topic I get asked about all the time and that is how to cook a filet mignon perfectly on the Big Green Egg. While there are many ways to cook wagyu filet mignon, this recipe produces consistent results every time. Now sit back, grab a glass of your favorite Cabernet Sauvignon, and enjoy this post for Wagyu Filet Mignon Grilled on the Big Green Egg.
Wagyu Filet Mignon Grilled on the Big Green Egg
For this recipe I am using 6oz American Wagyu filet mignon’s from Snake River Farms. American Wagyu is a crossbreed between Japanese Bulls and American Angus cows thus the term “American Wagyu”. The gold grade filets used in the recipe from Snake River Farms measure 9 and above on the BMS (Beef Marbling Scale). If you do not have this kind of filet mignon do not worry, the recipe and technique will work with any cut you have. Just remember it may have less fat than the ones here which can impact cooking time.
Get the wagyu filet mignon ready an hour before you start cooking them. When taking the filets out of the packaging dry them off with a paper towel first.
Next, apply a small amount of olive oil to each filet as a binder for the seasoning.
You can use you preferred steak seasoning, or simply salt & pepper for this recipe. I love to use Dizzy Pig Seasoning’s Cow Lick rub for filet mignon. It creates a deep flavor with perfect crust. If you buy from Dizzy Pig make sure to use my code BBQBUDDHA for 15% off of any order.
As the wagyu filet mignon sits at room temperature, it is time to set up your Big Green Egg for 2-zone grilling. If you do not know what that is, let me explain. Using either the Big Green Egg Fire Bowl or the EGGspander with ceramic half-moon insert to create one zone for direct grilling (hot side) and one zone for indirect grilling (cool side).
Light you lump charcoal and get the internal temperature of the Big Green Egg up to 450°F.
Once the grill is up to temperature it is time to wipe the grilling grate with oil and put the seasoned wagyu filet mignon on the direct side of the grill.
Wagyu Filet Mignon Cooking Time
Grill the wagyu filet mignon for 5 minutes then flip cooking another 5 minutes (10 minutes total).
Move the wagyu filet mignon to the indirect side and shut your vents down all the way (unless you are going to cook something else on your Big Green Egg then shut the vents down 90%). This brings down the temperature so you can roast the meat another 5-10 minutes until they measure 130°F internally (for medium rare).
After the wagyu filet mignon reaches the correct temp, pull them out of the Big Green Egg and let them rest 10 minutes before slicing and serving. While the steaks rest the carryover cooking will bring the temperature up to 135° which is the ideal temperature for medium rare steak.
After the rest, slice in to the steak and see the perfectly cooked interior. Beautiful crust on the outside and end to end pink on the inside.
Pour some great wine with this deliciousness and enjoy!
- 4 x 6oz American Wagyu Filets
- 1 Tbs Olive Oil
- Dizzy Pig Cow Lick seasoning
- Take the filet out of the packaging an hour before cooking them
- Clean each with a paper towel to remove moisture fro packaging
- Rub a little olive oil on each piece of meat then generously coat with the Dizzy Pig seasoning
- Set up your Big Green Egg for 2-zone grilling using the FireBowl (or EGGspander with ceramic half moon insert)
- Light the lump charcoal and bring the temperature up to 450°F
- After the seasoned steaks have been sitting at room temp for an hour place them on the hot side (direct) of the Big Green Egg
- Let them cook for 5 minutes then flip cooking for another 5 minutes (10 minutes total)
- Move the steaks to the cool side (indirect) and let cook for another 5-10 minutes or until the internal temperature measures 130°F for medium rare
- Remove the steaks and let rest 10 minutes before slicing and serving (they should be a perfect 135°F)