This week the cold weather and snow continued to keep me inside and away from the Big Green Egg. As a result I have spent a great deal of time in the kitchen focusing on the ingredients I had on hand. Yesterday I picked up a protein that would best compliment what was in my refrigerator and another successful pantry night was underway. Here is the breakdown of my Pan Seared Sea Bass with Red Miso Broth.
Pan Seared Sea Bass with Red Miso Broth
Looking in the fridge I see we have two containers of Miso begging for attention. These were purchased and used for recipes I have made before but were not my own. I wanted to create a simple, tasty, and elegant dish featuring the Red Miso which has the stronger flavor of the two. In addition to the Miso, we had green onions and Shiitake mushrooms on hand. The objective became clear to me… these ingredients needed a buttery fish with crispy skin to compliment them. Off to the store and to find some Sea Bass!
Prep for this dish is quick and easy. Just slice the filet of Sea Bass in to portions, slice the mushrooms (we didn’t have enough Shiitake’s so there are some baby bellas in there as well), and slice the green onions.
Now mix the red miso with the water in a sauce pan, add the Shiitake Mushrooms, and bring to a simmer over medium heat. Let simmer until mushrooms are soft.
Remove from heat and add the green onions.
Now cover the sauce pan to sit while you prepare the Sea Bass.
Heat sauté pan over medium heat, add cooking oil to sauté pan, when the oil is shimmering put the Sea Bass in skin side down for 7 minutes.
Now turn the Sea Bass and cook another 3 minutes. Your skin side should be nice and crispy like the picture below.
Once the fish is done scoop Miso mixture on your plates and serve the Sea Bass over the Red Miso with mushrooms and onions.
I hope you enjoy making this dish as much as I did!
- 2 Tbls cooking oil
- Filet of sea bass (enough for 2)
- 2 Tbls Red Miso
- 2 Cups of Water
- 3 Green Onions (whites and green stalks chopped)
- 1 cup sliced Shiitake Mushrooms
- Mix the red miso with the water in a sauce pan
- Add the Shiitake Mushrooms
- Bring to a simmer over medium heat
- Let simmer until mushrooms are soft
- Remove from heat
- Add green onions and cover to sit
- Heat sauté pan over medium heat
- Add cooking oil to sauté pan
- Put Sea Bass Skin side down for 7 minutes
- Turn Sea Bass and cook another 3 minutes
- Serve over the Red Miso with mushrooms and onions