Sunday was National Tequila Day so I decided to celebrate the occasion, as I always do, with food! I took to the internet to draw inspiration from a Guy Fieri recipe for this cook. The recipe is easy to make and impressed my family. The balance of the tequila with the lime juice paired perfectly with the flank steak. In addition, you would be surprised to know there are actually health benefits to eating steak… 31 Science-Backed Health Benefits of Steak to be exact. So, between the tequila in the marinade and the health benefits of the steak you have a perfectly balanced meal! Now sit back, grab an ice cold glass of tequila, and enjoy this post for Grilled Tequila Lime Flank Steak.
Grilled Tequila Lime Flank Steak
I had a bottle of Sauza Blue Silver Tequila on hand which worked perfectly with this recipe. Flank steak is a great cut of meat for this recipe.
Getting the ingredients ready for the marinade was simple: cumin, tequila, soy sauce, garlic, cilantro, lime juice, jalapeno, Serrano peppers.
After the steak sat in the marinade for 3 hours I took it out, preheated the Big Green Egg to 500°, and cooked it direct 4 minutes per side until it measured 130° with a meat thermometer.
Served with roasted corn, queso blanco, sliced radish, cilantro, tortilla… this meal was amazing!
- 1 cup roughly chopped garlic (about 3 bulbs)
- ¾ cup freshly squeezed lime juice (about 8 large limes)
- ½ cup clear tequila
- ¼ cup soy sauce
- 1 bunch roughly chopped fresh cilantro, leaves and stems
- 1 jalapeno pepper, seeded and diced
- 1 serrano pepper, seeded and diced
- 1 teaspoon cumin powder
- 1 tablespoon freshly cracked black pepper
- 1½ to 2 pounds flank steak
- Corn tortillas
- Combine the garlic, lime juice, tequila, soy sauce, cilantro, peppers, cumin and black pepper in a resealable plastic gallon bag. Add the steak and let marinate in the refrigerator for 2 hours. Remove from the refrigerator, and let marinate at room temperature another 30 to 45 minutes.
- Prepare the Big Green Egg by preheating to 500° cooking direct.
- Remove the steak from the marinade, reserving the marinade. Put the marinade in small saucepot and bring to a boil. Then strain and reserve.
- Put the tortillas on the corner of the grill and flip the package a few times to heat through while the steak is cooking
- Place the steak on the BGE (direct). Cook for 4 minutes, turn 180 degrees, and cook for 3 minutes more (to create cross grill marks). Flip over and finish cooking for 3 to 5 minutes, depending on desired doneness. Remove from the grill to a cutting board and let rest, lightly covered, for 5 minutes.
- Slice against the grain, and serve immediately with the reserved marinade, garnishes, tortillas and hot sauce.