My “healthy alternatives” week continues with this delicious recipe for a Tri-tip. Last month I made my first Tri-tip using the reverse sear method and it turned out great. At that time I had picked up an extra Tri-tip at the grocery that I did not use and placed it in the freezer for future use. This week, “Mrs. Buddha” pulled out the Trip-tip from the freezer for a dinner yet unplanned. I wanted to try something different and decided to go with a Thai Marinade for this cook. Now sit back, grab a glass of your favorite Shiraz, and enjoy this recipe for Big Green Egg Thai Marinated Trip Tip.
Big Green Egg Thai Marinated Trip Tip
I grabbed some soy sauce, honey, fish sauce, ginger, garlic, and lime for this marinade.
To add some heat to this dish I put in some Thai Roasted Red Chili Paste.
I poured the marinade in a large Ziploc bag and added the Tri-tip.
After sitting in my refrigerator overnight I pulled the Tri-tip out and let it come up to room temperature.
I set up the Big Green Egg using the ConvEGGtor (Plate Setter) for indirect heat and preheated it to 300°.
After 30 – 40 minutes the internal temp of the Tri-tip hit 130° measured with a Thermapen. I pulled the Tri-tip off and removed the ConvEGGtor to set the BGE for direct grilling.
I brought the temp up to 500° and seared the Tri-tip for 1 – 2 minutes per side to get that nice sear.
Let the Tri-tip rest for 10 minutes and serve over the Asian Cucumber salad. Enjoy!
- 1.5 Lbs Tri-Tip
- 2 Tbls Soy Sauce
- 2 Tbls Fish Sauce
- 2 Tbls Honey
- 1" fresh Ginger (grated)
- 2 Cloves Garlic (minced)
- 1 Lime (juice & Zest)
- 1 Tbls Thai Red Chili Paste
- Add all of the ingredients (minus the Tri-tip) together and mix well.
- Pour the marinade in to a large Ziploc bag.
- Add the Tri-tip and refrigerate overnight.
- Preheat the BGE to 300° and use the Plate Setter for indirect heat.
- Pull the Trip-tip out of the marinade and let it come up to room temperature.
- Cook the Tri-tip using indirect heat for 30 - 45 minutes (or until the meat measures 130°).
- Remove the Tri-tip.
- Remove plate setter and bring heat up to 500°.
- Put the Tri-tip over the direct heat and cook 1-2 minutes preside to get the sear you want on the meat.
- Let the Tri-tip rest for 10 minutes.
- Slice and Serve.
- 2 Cucumbers (ribbon cut)
- 1 Medium Red Onion (sliced thin)
- ½ c Matchstick Carrots
- 4 Tbs Rice Wine Vinegar
- 2 Tbls Sugar
- Peel and thinly slice (or ribbon cut) the cucumbers.
- Thinly slice the red onion.
- Add the cucumbers and onion to a bowl with the matchstick carrots.
- Add the vinegar and sugar.
- Mix well.
- Let sit for an hour (not refrigerated).
- Pull the cucumbers, onions, and carrots out of the marinade and serve.