Birthday week continues at Casa De Buddha and this time the focus was on my daughter who turned 23. For her birthday dinner I wanted to cook something special and something I had not done before. I took my inspiration from multiple sources to cobble together this delicious recipe. In addition, I was not intending to blog about this dinner so the pictures are limited and all taken on my iPhone. With that said sit back, grab a nice glass of Gewurztraminer, and enjoy this recipe for Big Green Egg Pork Noodle Bowl.
Big Green Egg Pork Noodle Bowl
The most important factor of getting the Noodle Bowl correct is the noodles! Make sure you get Vermicelli Rice Noodles.
For this noodle bowl I prepped Pork Tenderloin using a Char Siu marinade. I sliced the tenderloin in to 1.5 inch thick strips and placed them in the marinade overnight. To grill the pork I set the Big Green Egg up with a raised grid (Woo II) and preheated to 450° measured at the dome. Grilled the pork for 10 minutes per side until slightly charred.
For the bowls I made the noodles per the instructions on the bag, sliced the pork, added some mesclun mix, matchstick carrots, matchstick cucumbers, thinly sliced green onions, a Char Siu style dressing, and crushed peanuts. Boom… this dish was a huge hit with the family!
Here is a close up picture of the noodle bowl for your viewing pleasure!
- ½ c hoisin sauce
- ½ c honey
- 4 Lbs Pork Tenderloin (cut in to 1.5" strips)
- 4 tbsp soy sauce
- 2 tbsp mirin
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp white pepper
- 2 cloves garlic (minced)
- 1 tsp 5 spice powder
- 2 drops Red Food Coloring
- Mix together the soy sauce, mirin, salt white pepper, minced garlic, 5 spice powder, and red food coloring in a bowl.
- Take the pork tenderloin and clean the fat and remove the silver skin.
- Slice the tenderloin in to 2 sections and cut small filets about 1.5" thick.
- Put the sliced pork in large Ziploc bags and pour in the marinade.
- Let the pork sit overnight in the refrigerator.
- Remove the pork from the marinade and allow to come up to room temperature.
- Pour the reserved marinade in a sauce pan and boil for 5 minutes.
- Strain and use the reserve marinade as a mop for the cook.
- Preheat the Big Green Egg to 450°.
- Grill the pork tenderloin for 10 minutes per side or when pork measures 140° using Thermapen.
- Pull the pork off the BGE and let rest for 10 minutes.
- Slice, and serve.
- Slice Char Siu Pork Tenderloin
- 1 large cucumber, seeded and sliced into matchsticks
- 1 large carrot, peeled into strips and thinly sliced
- 3-4 generous handfuls salad mix
- finely crushed peanuts
- thinly sliced scallions
- 1 Package of Vermicelli Rice Noodles
- Thai fish sauce dressing:
- 1½ tablespoons brown sugar
- 1½ tablespoons honey
- 1½ tablespoons hoisin sauce
- 1½ tablespoons soy sauce
- 1½ tablespoons fish sauce
- 1 tablespoon sweet sherry wine
- 3 dashes white pepper powder
- ½ teaspoon five spice powder
- ½ teaspoon sesame oil
- Prep all the vegetables as per instructions above and set aside.
- Cook the Char Siu Pork, slice and set aside.
- Mix the Thai Fish Sauce dressing and set aside.
- Cook the vermicelli rice noodles per package instructions and set aside.
- Get a bowl and place some of the rice noodles to one side and the salad mix to the other.
- Now place the sliced pork, carrots, cucumbers, and scallions in to equal sections on the noodles and greens.
- Drizzle the Thai Fish Sauce dressing over the ingredients.
- Top with the chopped peanuts and serve.