I recently ate dinner at a restaurant in downtown Washington D.C., Birch and Barley. I was there with a group from work and we had a unique dining experience called the Beast Feast, which included three whole animals with sides, a charcuterie platter, and amazing beer pairings. This was a fantastic meal and one I recommend if you are dining downtown with a group of people. One of the dishes that night was a chicken dish with a rich lemon and garlic flavor. It was so good I wanted to try to recreate it at home. I did some poking around on different food sites and cobbled together this recipe for the Big Green Egg. Now sit back, grab a Aecht Schlenkerla Fastenbier, and enjoy this recipe for Big Green Egg Lemon Garlic Chicken.
Big Green Egg Lemon Garlic Chicken
This recipe is all about the marinade. Fish sauce, olive oil, soy sauce, apple cider vinegar, sugar, lemon, chilies, garlic, ginger, and thyme give the chicken thighs their unique flavor.
Mix all the ingredients except for the chicken, lemon and thyme.
Place the chicken thighs, lemon, and thyme in a large Ziploc bag.
Pour in the marinade and mix well. Place the marinaded chicken in the refrigerator overnight.
Take the chicken out of the marinade and let it come up to room temperature while you preheat the BGE to 450° measure at the dome. Cook the chicken on a raised grid (I am using a Woo II) for 15 minutes. Turn the chicken skin side down for 7 minutes until the skin is brown and crispy. Flip the chicken back over and cook for another 7 minutes or until the chicken measures 165°.
Pull the chicken and let rest 5 minutes before service. This recipe is delicious and is one I plan to make again (…and again).
- 10 Garlic Cloves minced
- 4 Chili's sliced thin
- 3 inch piece of Ginger grated
- 1 c olive oil
- ½ c soy sauce (low sodium)
- ¼ c apple cider vinegar
- ¼ c sugar
- 3 tbls fish sauce
- 1 tbls salt
- 2 lemons sliced
- 6 sprigs of thyme
- 4 skin on bone in chicken thighs
- Mix garlic, chilies, ginger, oil, soy sauce, vinegar, sugar, fish sauce, and salt in a bowl.
- Place chicken in a large Ziploc bag with the thyme and lemons.
- Pour in the marinade.
- Place marinaded chicken in the fridge overnight.
- Take the chicken out of the marinade and let come up to room temp.
- Preheat the Big Green Egg to 450° measured at the dome.
- Using a raised grid place the chicken skin side up for 15 minutes.
- Turn the chicken to skin side down for 7 minutes.
- Turn the chicken to skin side up for another 7 minutes or until the chicken measures 165°.
- Serve and enjoy!